Pretoria trains to run soon
Trains between Mabopane and Pretoria that were suspended last week following the torching of several coaches will resume operating on February 4, the South African Rail Commuter Corporation (SARCC) said yesterday.
The SARCC, which runs Metrorail, said the decision to re-open the Mabopane-Pretoria and the De Weldt-Pretoria routes was arrived at after consultation.
Earlier, the SARCC had said it would suspend the service on the routes for between three and six months.
Pretoria police have opened a case of malicious damage to property after the mayhem.
"The decision to reintroduce the train service means that we will run a reduced service in the entire Tshwane region until the rolling stock issues are resolved," SARCC spokesman Pule Mabe said.
He said to complement the service, buses will be arranged from Mabopane station to Pretoria for weekly and monthly ticket holders.
Mabe said the Tshwane regional executive management team remains suspended.
"It would appear from information received that the management failed to act swiftly to implement contingency plans," he said.