Cop reportsin murder trial dubbed unreliable

Vusi Ndlovu

Vusi Ndlovu

The recordings of events at the scene where a taxi boss was allegedly killed by his nursing-sister wife were inconsistent, the Johannesburg magistrate's court heard yesterday.

A lawyer representing Nokuthula Kubheka, 46, said that statements taken by Constable Miriam Motolla about the incident differed.

Kubheka is standing trial for the murder of her taxi-boss husband Bhekuyise Kubheka.

The killing happened at the couple's home in Liefde en Vrede, south of Johannesburg, on June 14 2005.

Kubheka was a member of the Faraday Taxi Association.

Constable Motolla admitted under cross- examination by Advocate Fezile Memani that she recorded the date as June 1 instead of June 14 when she took the second statement. In the first statement immediately after the shooting, she recorded the date correctly as June 14.

Motolla told the court that when she went back to take the second statement she had forgotten when the incident had happened. She said she had then written 1 and left a space so that she could enter the other digit after verifying the date.

"Do you want us to believe that you did not know the date when you took the statement? This is the statement you wrote at the end of your shift, not at the start of your shift," Memani asked her.

He also questioned her on the number of shots she recorded to have hit Kubheka in one of the statements. He said in the statement Motolla took at the scene she said Kubheka had been shot three times while on the other, which she said she was instructed to write by an Inspector Majola at the victim's house, said Kubheka had four bullet wounds.

One photo exhibit shows that Kubheka had three bullet wounds in the arm and the other shows one wound in his back.

"When I arrived at the scene I did not see the wound on the back because Kubheka was lying on his back," Motolla said.

Memani then described Motolla as an unreliable witness.

Prosecutor Steven Rubin also questioned Kubheka's domestic worker, Nancy Vilakazi.

She told the court all she saw was Nokuthula Kubheka continuously pumping her husband's chest while he lay on the ground, an act associated with an attempt to resuscitate a dying person.

The case continues.