Furious crowd accuses woman of being a witch

Sne Masuku

Sne Masuku

A woman, who was accused of being a witch, was stoned to death yesterday at her home in Umzinyathi, north of Durban, .

Thembelihle Mchunu, 54, died of her injuries after being attacked by angry members of her community.

Police said people armed with stones and pangas assaulted Mchunu at about 3am.

Her daughter is said to have watched helplessly while her mother was being attacked.

The deceased woman's daughter said she did not want her mother's death to be splashed all over the newspapers.

Police spokesman Vincent Mdunge said that no arrests had been made and police were investigating a case of murder.

l In another incident also in KwaZulu-Natal, a businessman from Emachobeni in Inanda was shot dead when he was about to lock his shop.

The 40 year-old man who cannot be named until his next of kin have been informed of his death, was shot in the chest by an unknown gunman.

Police spokesman Muzi Mngomezulu said the man was rushed to Ntuzuma clinic where he was certified dead on arrival.

l On Sunday, a 10-year-old boy was shot and killed in Pietermaritzburg when he tried to stop his parents from fighting.

The boy's father, who cannot be named until he appears in court, had allegedly sent the boy and his 16-year-old sister out of the house when he and his wife were arguing

According to the police, the children heard gunshots and the boy allegedly ran into the house to find out what was happening.

He stormed into the room where his parents were fighting and tried to intervene.

His mother had been shot twice and his father was allegedly holding the gun in his hand.

Police spokesman Joey Jeevan said when the boy entered the room, his mother had already been shot in the thigh and in the stomach.

"The child tried to intervene in the fight by getting in between his mother and his father," Jeevan said.

He said the man then allegedly fired another shot, this time hitting the boy.

"The injured woman grabbed the firearm and ran for help," Jeevan said.

Both the boy and his mother were rushed to Edendale hospital where the boy was certified dead on arrival.

Dlamini is reported to be recovering and in a stable condition in hospital.

Jeevan said that the man was arrested and will appear in court soon.