Fire leaves family homeless

Tilo Setlhare

Tilo Setlhare

A family of five is pleading for help after their shack was razed to the ground.

The family have lost everything - clothing, furniture and the little food they had in the shack they had turned into a nice home.

Rinkie Khunoane, 52, a mother of four, said she and her family had gone to help with preparations at the local church when the tragedy occurred.

"We were summoned by neighbours while others tried to extinguish the bellowing flames," Khunoane said.

She suspects the electrical box could have been the cause of the fire.

"It had started giving off a whirring sound and I immediately reported it to Eskom. A new one was installed and I suspect it was just as faulty.

"I was deeply shocked when I arrived home to find everything had been razed to the ground. It was a ghastly sight," said a shocked Khunoane.

Damage to the four-roomed shack at Modderspruit section at Bapong village, Brits, in North West, is estimated at R50000.

Khunoane, who lives with her children aged 6, 16, 24 and 27 - all unemployed - said: "We are now accommodated by sympathetic neighbours and we are pleading for help."

Brits police spokesman Captain Shiku Sati said a full investigation would be launched.

Khunoane can be contacted on 073-873-7420 or 072-219-4936.