Challenge scores extended deal
The sponsorship for the Discovery Walter Sisulu Soccer Challenge has been extended to run beyond 2010.
Discovery's chief marketing officer Hylton Kallner made this announcement at the launch of the prestigious soccer showpiece yesterday at the Maponya Mall in Soweto.
The medical aid company had been sponsoring the competition under the auspices of Safa Soweto for the past six years.
Phil Mogodi, Safa Soweto president, said he was delighted that Discovery has committed itself to extend the sponsorship, which expires next year, beyond 2010.
"Obviously, there is a great challenge to other companies to be involved towards the development of the sporting code in the township because there is life after 2010," he said.
Kallner said: "The tournament will continue to serve as the perfect vehicle for the company to promote its message of healthy living to all South Africans.
"As a leader, Walter Sisulu, paid special attention to the youth of this country, and through this tournament we are helping to honour this legacy by encouraging the entire community to invest in its health," he said.
The competition will be played from December 8 to 29 at the Safa Development Centre in Soweto.
Mogodi explained that winner in the men's section will get R45000 while the first prize for the women has not yet been decided on.