NUM, bosses talk over 2010 stadium dispute
Negotiations between the National Union of Mineworkers and the companies contracted to build Durban's 2010 Moses Mabhida Stadium resumed yesterday in an attempt to end the week-long wage dispute.
The announcement, which gave the striking workers a glimmer of hope, was made during a protest march yesterday.
About 400 construction workers marched from the stadium to the city hall to hand over a memorandum of grievances to the eThekwini municipality.
Workers were over the moon when an announcement was made that the employer had contacted the union to resume talks.
The NUM walked out of negotiations last week when the parties deadlocked, with the employer refusing to give in to the workers demand of R1500 monthly project bonus.
Cosatu's provincial secretary Zet Luzipho speaking in support of the workers' strike said ordinary people were not reaping the benefits that were promised to them relating to the 2010 event.
NUM spokesman Bonginkosi Mncwabe, who told the striking workers that a solution could be reached tonight, said: "The employer has called us to the table again this afternoon, negotiations could go on until midnight."
Receiving the memorandum on behalf of the municipality and the 2010 Local Organising Committee, municipal manager Michael Sutcliffe encouraged the parties to find a solution as soon as possible.
"A safe site is a productive site, as a municipality we are going to push the employer and your representatives to find a solution," said Sutcliffe.
About 1000 workers downed tools last week demanding the appointment of a full-time health and safety representative, and a project bonus of R1500.
On Tuesday the NUM filed an application for a secondary strike following the dispute.
Should the application be granted, it would cripple most major 2010 projects, including the construction of stadiums across the country.
Mncwabe said should the employer fail to meet their demands by next Wednesday, the secondary strike would begin.