Threat to 2010 venue

Construction on Durban's 2010 Soccer World Cup stadium is set to come to a halt next week when workers down tools, the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said yesterday.

Construction on Durban's 2010 Soccer World Cup stadium is set to come to a halt next week when workers down tools, the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said yesterday.

The NUM's regional organiser and chief negotiator, Mzi Poswa, said the strike would start on Wednesday.

Poswa, who said the NUM represented mine, construction and energy workers, was responding to media reports that the strike would begin this week.

The NUM's KwaZulu-Natal coordinator, Bonginkosi Mncwabe, said 1200 workers would down tools over bonuses, backpay and safety issues.

He said the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) had issued a certificate of non-resolution.

Mncwabe said unions representing the workers had campaigned for sub-contractors to meet minimum wage requirements for the civil engineering sector.

"The consortium agreed to it, but what about all the time the workers have worked so far? There must be backpay."

The unions are demanding project bonuses of R1200 a month for each worker. Initially, they had demanded R9 an hour.

Mncwabe said the unions were also demanding that a safety and compliance officer - who would be acceptable to both parties - be appointed.

eThekwini city manager Mike Sutcliffe and the Group Five-WBHO consortium could both not be reached for comment yesterday. - Sapa

X