Chiefs ask for protection
Four of the "wannabe kings" applying for similar status to that of Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini before the Nhlapho Commission are pleading for 'personal protection' from the commission.
The four amakhosi - Mabhuti Tembe, Melizwe Dlamini, Mboneni Mavuso and Mzondeni Hlongwane said their lives were in danger.
In a joint plea, the four asked that they be granted security as they had received "death threats and have been intimidated" since applying for status similar to that of the Zulu monarch.
They attended a meeting with the commission in Durban yesterday where they were briefed on the requirements that they would have to meet before being crowned kings.
"We are raising this as a matter of urgency. We feel the government in each province must provide amakhosi with security, whether they are attending izimbizo or having consultative forums with other amakhosi," said Tembe.
Edmund Duma, spokesman for the Nhlangwini clan under Prince Melizwe Dlamini, said Dlamini had not been personally intimidated, but chiefs under his jurisdiction had been.
He said they asked the commission to intervene because those threatening others are interfering with a legal process of the commission.
Initially, there were 11 kings, but six subsequently withdrew their applications.
Of the five, only the AmaHlubi were not present as they have already made a concrete submission.
The applicants have until November 9 to make their final submissions for kingship to the commission.
Welile Khuzwayo, head of dispatch at the commission, encouraged amakhosi to make written submissions to the head of commission, Thandabantu Nhlapho about their concerns.