Deja vu as paparazzi chases prince
LONDON - British tabloid newspapers opted not to publish paparazzi pictures of Prince William and his girlfriend Kate Middleton on Saturday after he complained to the Press Complaints Commission that they had been aggressively pursued by photographers.
William, second in line to the throne, said that paparazzi had chased them on motorbikes and in cars as they were driven away from a London nightclub, just days after an inquest opened into his mother's death in a high-speed crash.
Princess Diana and her lover, Dodi al-Fayed, were killed when their car crashed in a Paris tunnel in 1997 while being chased by paparazzi.
"Having already been photographed leaving a club, he and Kate Middleton were then pursued in his car by photographers on motorcycles, in vehicles and on foot," the prince's press secretary, Paddy Harverson, said.
"This aggressive pursuit was potentially dangerous and worrying for them. It seems incomprehensible that this behaviour is still going on."
Photographers had massed outside the exclusive Boujis nightclub, hoping to capture the couple together in public for the first time since they rekindled their on-off relationship. Williams and Middleton have faced intense media attention since they met while studying at St Andrews University in Scotland in 2001. - Reuters