Voluntary programme worked for schools
The education recovery plan to make up for lost teaching time as a result of the month-long public service strike last July is on track in KwaZulu-Natal.
In fact many schools did not close during these holidays.
Yesterday, teacher unions in the province expressed confidence that the programme was working.
In terms of the recovery plan agreed to between unions and the provincial education department in June, teachers could teach during the September school holidays to make up for time lost during the recent public service strike. It is a voluntary programme and classes begin as usual on a Monday and run through to Saturdays.
Public schools not severely affected by the strike, remain on holiday but had chosen to extend the schooling hours to make up for any time lost.
South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) spokesman Sipho Nkosi said he understood that all affected schools in the province were open during the holidays.
"As far as I know all the schools in the province are supposed to be open for the holidays to catch up on time lost during the strike," said Nkosi.
A Sadtu fieldworker said their survey showed that all affected schools were on track with the catch-up programme.
National Teachers Unions' Musa Gumede said he was 100percent sure that they have managed to catch up.
"We have covered the distance so far. All we need at this stage is a week or two for revision and we should be on track. We have received feedback from most affected schools saying that teaching was in progress".
Provincial education department spokesman Christi Naude confirmed that the recovery plan was going well.
"We have not received any reports that the schools that volunteered to participate in the programme are closed, they are all open," she said.