Pensioner burns to death in shack

A Durban mother burnt to death on Wednesday after her shack in Umlazi's J Section caught alight.

A Durban mother burnt to death on Wednesday after her shack in Umlazi's J Section caught alight.

Police spokesman Lungile Jama said the fire was caused by a fallen candle.

The daughter of Alsinah Msomi, 64, tried to assist her when the fire broke out.

The daughter then ran to get help but when she returned she found her mother already dead.

The fire did not spread to other shacks in the area. Police have opened an inquest docket into the death. - Mitchell Harper

X