Suspects in schoolboy killing in court today
The five boys who were arrested for allegedly killing King Edward VII School pupil, Mfundo Ntshangase, will appear at the Randburg magistrate's court today.
Police spokesman Cheryl Engelbrecht said the boys were charged with murder, attempted murder and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
She said the suspects were aged between 16 and 18. The five were arrested on Tuesday, two days after Mfundo's killing.
Engelbrecht said they were hoping to make more arrests.
"We have two more interviews and then we will take it from there," said Engelbrecht.
Four of the boys were fetched from their classes at Athlone Boys High in Bezuidenhouts Valley.
The fifth boy was fetched from an unknown college in the Johannesburg city centre.
The five schoolboys were taken to Randburg police station where they were questioned and detained. Mfundo was stabbed three times while at an after-party in Randburg, Johannesburg, on Sunday morning.
The Grade 11 pupil was attacked by a group of boys when he tried to intervene in a fight involving his schoolmates.
The Meadowlands, Soweto, boy was stabbed twice in the chest and once in the back.
His friend, Thabo Linda, was also stabbed when he tried to intervene. Linda, however, survived the attack. Mfundo, 17, had been attending a school function on Saturday night before he went to a house party where he was attacked.
His mother, Nonhlanhla, said she would not be going to court today, but that family members would attend. She said her pain was becoming worse by the day.
"I thought it would become better as days go by, but it's getting worse. I will never hear my son saying to me, 'mommy let's go, we are going to be late', when I was being slow to take him to school."
A memorial service for Mfundo will be held at his school today at 1pm.
He will be buried at West Park Cemetery on Saturday.