Purse bids to stage SA junior flyweight title fight

FLASHBACK: Thembelani Maphuma and Simphiwe Mabona during their flyweight bout at the Orient Theatre in East London. Pic. Tertius Pickard. 27/05/07. © Touchline.
FLASHBACK: Thembelani Maphuma and Simphiwe Mabona during their flyweight bout at the Orient Theatre in East London. Pic. Tertius Pickard. 27/05/07. © Touchline.

The controversy over the rights to stage the vacant South African junior flyweight title has forced Boxing SA to invite purse bids from interested promoters.

The controversy over the rights to stage the vacant South African junior flyweight title has forced Boxing SA to invite purse bids from interested promoters.

However, the stringent measures set for promoters to qualify for the purse bids is likely to reduce their number in the bidding process.

The purse bids have been called after the management of Simpiwe Mabona and Mfundo Gwayana could not reach an agreement regarding the venue of the fight.

Mabona, who hails from Mdantsane but is now training under Nick Durandt's club in Johannesburg, qualified to contest for the title after stopping Eastern Cape champion Samora Msophi in five rounds in East London last month.

Gwayana also knocked out Free State fighter Johnny Oliphant in three rounds a month ago.

The title was vacated by Muvhuso Nedzanani after winning the World Boxing Foundation (WBF) crown.

Although Mabona and Gwayana both hail from Mdantsane, Mabona's promoter Branco Milenkovic wants to stage the fight in Klerksdorp on the undercard of the IBF world junior lightweight clash between Mzonke Fana and Argentinian fighter Javier Alvarez on August 31.

But Gwayana, who lost twice to Nedzanani in title challenges, feels the move will disadvantage him.

"Gwayana has been challenging for the SA title in foreign soil and he now feels he should fight at home," said Gwayana's promoter, Mzi Mnguni.

BSA spokesman Loyiso Mtya said purse bids would be called to resolve the impasse.

"We have no choice but to call the purse bids if the management of the two boxers do not reach an agreement regarding where the fight should be held," he said.

Mtya said promoters bidding for the fight would be required to submit the bidding fee to BSA on the day of the bid.

Promoters will also be required to submit a letter from a television station which will screen the fight.

Mtya said promoters without a television date will not be considered.

"We do not want promoters to delay to stage the fight because they are still applying for television dates," he said.

Milenkovic, who has a history of taking part in purse bids against the best promoters in the world, said he would not participate in the bid.

"I will not bid because I think this issue could have been handled differently," he said. - Sapa

X