Nadeco courts ANC
It is interesting times in KwaZulu-Natal politics as the floor-crossing period approaches and behind-the-scenes manoeuvrings are already at play.
Sowetan has learnt that the ANC and the embattled Nadeco have signed a deal, merging the two parties in the province.
A source close to Nadeco told Sowetan yesterday that the deal was signed on Sunday. If this happens, it will be the second party that the ANC has swallowed.
In 2005, the then NNP Federal Council disbanded the party and soon thereafter, the party joined the ANC.
"Nadeco leader Hawu Mbatha was in Cape Town last week, where he allegedly met with ANC top brass and I think the deal was signed on Sunday. This time, I think, it's real. They are swallowing Nadeco for good and it's a done deal," said the source.
Last week, Sowetan ran a story about a document that was circulating between ANC and Nadeco members in the province. In it the ANC allegedly promised two deputy ministerial positions to Nadeco if it agreed to oust the IFP in Ilembe, Umhlathuze, Newcastle and Amajuba.
Nadeco executive member Makhosazana Mdlalose dismissed the reports as "rumours and propaganda". The ANC was not available for comment.