Soweto family in shock after fire destroys house, kills one-year-old
Two weeks ago he celebrated his first birthday with friends and family. But now he is dead.
The family of Bafana Kubayi, of Tshiawelo Extension in Soweto, are saddened by the death of the toddler.
They do not know how the fire that killed him started and are still searching for answers.
Bafana was with the helper and his 13-year-old sister on Thursday when the house caught fire, apparently after a heater blew up.
Bafana's mother has been admitted to Lesedi Private Hospital where she is being treated for trauma.
His father was treated for smoke inhalation. He had risked his life by going into the burning house to try and save his son.
Bafana's grandmother, Cecilia Kubayi, said yesterday: "We are still baffled about what started the fire, but we believe that it was started by a heater."
Soweto police spokesman Captain Philemon Khorombi said that an inquest docket had been opened and investigations were continuing.