Health workers axed in Soweto
Confusion reigns at Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital, where workers have been served with dismissal letters.
Thuli Mngadi, the assistant to spokesman Zanele Mngadi said the Gauteng health department was not aware of any dismissals after the public sector strike. The assistant said Mngadi was unavailable to comment.
Workers from the occupational therapy unit who had served the hospital for more than twenty years said they are now jobless.
Staff from the hospital's administration unit are also among those fired.
The workers, who wanted to remain anonymous, said they felt cheated by the department.
"They are now telling us that we do not have jobs any more, this is illegal," said one of them.
According to the dismissal letters, their employment contracts were terminated on June 4. Occupational therapy unit manager Tarina Coetzee refused to comment and referred queries to the communications office.
Hospital spokesman, Hester van den Heever, admitted some workers had been fired but referred further queries to the Gauteng health department.