Pair tipped to rout foes
Cassius Baloyi and Malcolm Klassen have both been tipped to upstage foes Manuel Medina and Lehlohonolo Ledwaba at Emperors Palace on July 5.
"That is if you believe in the soothsayers of South African boxing, many of whom have ended up with egg on their faces," said Terry Pettifer, public relations officer of Golden Gloves, the promotional company that will stage these fights.
Baloyi's IBO junior lightweight title and the IBF's number one spot - which is vacant - will also be at stake.
Medina, 36, who boasts 67 wins and 15 losses, is ranked second by the IBF. The Mexican claimed that position in November last year by beating Kevin Kelly on points.
The IBF title is held by Mzonke Fana, who is scheduled to make a voluntary defence in August.
The winner between Baloyi and Medina will challenge the winner between Fana and that chosen opponent, probably before Christmas or early next year.
Baloyi, 32, whipped Medina in 11 rounds in May last year for the IBF crown which Baloyi lost two months later to Australian Gairy St Clair. He also forfeited the IBO belt.
But he bounced back in February and reclaimed the IBO belt by stopping Argentinian Nazareno Ruiz in three rounds. That was Baloyi's 18th stoppage from 33 wins and three defeats.
About Klassen, Pettifer said the nuggety fighter from Toekomsrus wants to destroy his erstwhile ring icon.
Matchmaker Ruben Rasodi announced that rising stars Isaac Chilembe, Warren Joubert, Grant Fourie and Kgotla Baeti would be in action too.