Initiation schools told to toe line
The Limpopo chairman of the task team probing issues around initiation rites has sent a strong warning to traditional leaders to work with provincial departments and the premier's office.
Vusani Netshimbupfe said the task team had so far received 139 applications to be allowed to run initiation schools from different parts of the province and was consolidating the list.
The circumcision season in Limpopo is scheduled to run from tomorrow until July 21.
Netshimbupfe said would-be initiates had been warned to have their birth certificates and letters from doctors as proof that they were not suffering from any kind of illness before admission to the schools.
"We are going to be vigilant. This season we'll leave no stone unturned to make sure that anyone who does not adhere to our policy faces the wrath of the law," he said.
He said schools were not allowed to charge an initiate more than R500.
"Circumcision is a culture from which we cannot move away.
"But we cannot allow a situation to develop where those who are willing to go to such schools are excluded because of a lack of money," he said.
Netshimbupfe said the task team would ensure the schools were conducted in accordance with regulations and safety.