Sacked 2010 Cup coordinator back in hot seat
After more than seven months of struggling to be reinstated as Mpumalanga coordinator of the 2010 Soccer World Cup, a top official is back behind his desk.
Mbombela municipality in Nelspruit announced yesterday that Differ Mogale, 38, pictured, who had been sacked from the post, has been reinstated and has resumed his duties.
Municipality spokesman Vusi Sibiya said a council sitting on Monday resolved that Mogale be returned to his position.
Sibiya could, however, not give more details and said "a proper statement" on the matter would be issued later.
Mogale was appointed coordinator for 2010 World Cup in November on a five-year contract. But he was fired two months later after the municipality claimed that manager Justice Dladla had breached procedures when he appointed him.
Mogale took the matter to the labour court, alleging unfair dismissal.
The court nullified the council's decision and said Mogale's removal did not constitute termination of his contract.
But he did not last long as the municipality again suspended him and ordered an investigation into his appointment.
A council investigation committee decided that the appointment should be regarded as null and void.
Mogale, who has not been paid since February, said yesterday he was happy that this "tense matter" had finally been resolved.
Happy that he will be involved in the world cup, Mogale said: "I am looking forward to taking Mpumalanga to greater heights in 2010."