Man dies in bed as house goes up in flames

Frank Maponya

Frank Maponya

A man died yesterday when the house in which he was sleeping caught fire.

According to police, Samuel Selemela, 56, of Seshego, Limpopo, stayed alone in the RDP house in Zone 5 C, which caught fire early yesterday morning.

Superintendent Patty Khumalo of the Capricorn area police said a neighbour, Solomon Mashitisho, saw the house burning and tried to extinguish the fire.

Unfortunately Selemela was already dead by that time, said Khumalo.

She said an inquest docket had been opened and the cause of the fire was being investigated.

Simon Mokoatedi, spokesman for the Polokwane municipality, said they had received a call about the fire at a house and immediately dispatched community safety members and the fire brigade.

"When we arrived, we found that the fire had gutted the inside and destroyed most of the property in the house," Mokoatedi said.

He said upon extinguishing the fire, the firefighters made the gruesome discovery of Selemela's badly burnt body.

His mattress and some of the furniture in the room were completely destroyed, said Mokoa- tedi. He said the officials also found a piece of candle in the room and believed it could have been the cause of the fire.

"Though not 100percent sure of what caused the fire, we believe the candle was the source," he said.

"We want to warn people not to leave candles on when they go to sleep."