'His is one face I will never forget'

Khanyisile Nkosi

Khanyisile Nkosi

A woman yesterday told a stunned court how she terminated her pregnancy shortly after alleged serial rapist Mongezi Jinxela had raped her.

The woman, 25, said she was three months pregnant when Jinxela raped her on October 23 2001.

She said she only found out about the pregnancy when she was examined after the rape.

"I decided not to keep the baby because it would have reminded me every day of what had happened to me," she told the court.

The woman was testifying in the marathon trial of Jinxela, a Soweto man alleged to have raped 65 women between 1994 and 2004.

One woman has testified that he infected her with the HI virus.

Jinxela, 38, has pleaded not guilty to 261 charges, including 71 of rape.

The woman said she met Jinxela in Robertsville, Johannesburg, and he told her about a vacancy at the place where he worked.

"He said he'd help me get a job because they were looking to hire young girls my age," the woman said.

She said Jinxela took her to a secluded mine dump in Robertsville, where he assaulted her and repeatedly raped her.

"He stood up for five minutes and said he had never tasted anybody as nice as I was.

"He raped me again," she said, holding back tears.

Asked by state advocate Louisa Loots how the rape affected her, the woman said: "I became distant and stayed in bed for three weeks. When I got up I became self-destructive. I started drinking and I wasn't doing well at school. I became disobedient at home."

When asked under cross-examination if she was certain about Jinxela's identity, she said: "His is one face I would never forget."

She said Jinxela had a smile on his face after he raped her.

"It was like he had accomplished what he'd wanted to do all his life," she said, looking at him.

Overwhelmed with emotion, another woman, 23, told how Jinxela raped her on July 29 2004.

She said he approached her in a well-mannered way and offered her a job at a sports warehouse.

Jinxela led her to the veld where he raped her before he fled with her cellphone, meat, three rings and a watch, she said .

Police tracked her down after they found her SIM card at Jinxela's home. The trial continues.