Dismissed nurses turn to unions
Sacked nurses in KwaZulu-Natal flocked into trade union offices yesterday after the announcement that a tribunal would be set up to consider the issues relating to their dismissals.
Peggy Nkonyeni, the MEC for health, announced the tribunal would be set up in conjunction with the unions after the dismissal of more than 700 nurses for embarking on an illegal strike demanding payment of rural allowances.
Nkonyeni also said the department was aware that some nurses had unwillingly participated in the mass action because of high levels of intimidation at hospitals like Prince Mshiyeni and Edendale.
Super Zuma, spokesman for the National Education Health and Allied Workers' Union (Nehawu), yesterday said about 140 nurses, mostly from Prince Mshiyeni Hospital in Umlazi, where 300 nurses were dismissed, had already approached the union to make statements.
"We urge our members who were dismissed to come forward with information and proof that would help us build a case," Zuma said.
Cassim Lekhoathi, spokes- man for the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (Denosa), said many nurses had come forward, mostly from Prince Mshiyeni Hospital.
The resolution to set up the tribunal emerged on Wednesday after a meeting between Nehawu, Denosa and other unions.