Boxing robbed of dedicated fighter

Mcelwa Nchabeleng

Mcelwa Nchabeleng

Boxing has been robbed of a dedicated and hard-working boxer in Tally Mpulesane Disoloane.

Disoloane, 30, died at the Polokwane Hospital on Saturday after being in a coma following his fight against Thompson Mokwana in Seshego on October 1.

He slipped over a table before hitting the concrete floor with his head, and surprisingly the referee allowed the fight to continue.

Boxing was in Disoloane's blood and he lived it until the sport claimed his life.

"Green Mamba", as Disoloane was affectionately known in boxing circles, did not wait to be approached to join the fistic sport.

Still a schoolboy, he took the initiative and called boxing trainer Onismus Laka back in the 1990s and asked him to guide him as a boxer.

He was then based in his hometown of GaMolebeledi, near GaMasemola in Limpopo, doing Grade 11.

Laka obliged Disoloane and invited him to his gym in Mamelodi. Disoloane proved his ability as a boxer when he beat many of his foes in the amateur level, and it was not long before he turned professional in 1998.

Despite being a professional boxer, he struggled to make ends meet because sometimes fights were hard to come by.

But as a true professional he refused to throw in the towel and soldiered on.

At that stage Disoloane was staying with Laka and other boxers at a hostel in Mamelodi.

Laka secured him a job at a local surgery and he later worked at a mine in Cullinan.

When Laka relocated to Seshego to revive boxing in Limpopo in 2004, he took Disoloane along.

The affable Disoloane was crowned the Limpopo junior lightweight champion after he stopped Justice Hlongwane in the fourth round in Seshego on April 30 this year.

His distraught sister Margaret Disoloane said her brother was humble and down-to-earth and was loved by many people.

He will be buried in GaMolebeledi Cemetery today.

The service will be held at home from 7am and the cortege leaves for the cemetery an hour later.