Families in ravaged region to get clothing
Hundreds of people left homeless after storms ravaged parts of northern KwaZulu-Natal last week are set to receive emergency clothing.
Four shipping containers - full of donated clothing worth more than R1million - will be provided by South African Port Operations.
The destitute families, from the Utrecht, Vryheid, Mondlo and Hlobane areas, were left homeless after storms flattened the region, injuring scores of people and causing the death of a three-month-old baby and an elderly woman.
Scelo Duma, manager of the Amajuba municipality, said: "The municipality is helping the community with temporary shelters. The last time we experienced such disaster was in 1998-99 when heavy rain destroyed homes in the district.
"The donated clothing includes T-shirts, jerseys, trousers and dresses. The containers will also be used to store goods donated by other organisations."
Duma said the clothes would be distributed to the victims on Friday.
lThe MEC for local government, Mike Mabuyakhulu, visited the areas last week to decide whether they should be declared disaster areas.