Debate to take place next year
The much-awaited national strategic plan (NSP) on HIV-Aids and sexually transmitted infections for next year will only be announced in March.
It was expected to be announced on Friday during World Aids Day at KaNyamazane near Nelspruit in Mpumalanga.
Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka said people were still coming up with good ideas about the plan. Mlambo-Ngcuka, who is also the chairman of the South African National Aids Council (Sanac), revealed that an agreement had been reached on the framework of the plan, but details would only be debated and adopted next year.
Sanac is the highest national body that advises government on all matters related to HIV-Aids. Mlambo-Ngcuka said the plan flows from the national strategic plan of the years 2000 to 2005, as well as operational plans for comprehensive HIV-Aids care management and treatment.
"It represents the country's multi-sectoral response to the challenges of HIV-Aids and the effects of Aids," she said.
The deputy president said the NSP seeks to provide continued guidance to all government departments and sectors of civil society, building on work done in the past decade. She pointed out that an assessment of the implementation of the NSP 2000 to 2005 has been useful in defining the capacity of the implementing agencies.
The ceremony was attended by Education Minister Naledi Pandor and Cosatu's Zwelinzima Vavi.