Damages sought after teacher burns daughter
The parents of a nine-year-old schoolgirl who was badly burned when her teacher threw a pot of boiling candle wax at her are suing the education department for R5 million.
Ntokozo Lubisi, of Tekwane South outside Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, sustained third-degree burns on her buttocks and legs.
She stayed in hospital for more than three months, incurring a bill of R171 000, which her parents are struggling to pay.
The family's attorney, Slungu Thobela, said they had calculated damages and future costs for the child and had arrived at the amount of R5 million.
"The child's entire future has been affected and she will incur future medical expenses," Thobela said yesterday.
The incident happened in February this year when a grade 4 teacher at Tiphembeleni Primary in KaNyamazane was boiling candle wax.
Lubisi said the male teacher flung the pot at the children, who ran screaming in different directions.
She said the pot hit her back and her skirt caught fire, burning her buttocks and legs.
The child said she ran to a nearby tap to put out the fire herself while the teacher stood watching her with his hand on his face.
Education Department spokesman Hlahla Ngwenya confirmed the lawsuit and said their legal team would handle it.
The teacher was charged and given a final warning.