RECIPE |One-pot fragrant chicken and Spekko rice casserole
A quick and easy recipe for a family of four
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
30ml (2 tbsp) oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (of each) green, yellow and red peppers, cut into strips
8 chicken thighs, halved
5 ml (1 tsp) cumin
5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3/4 cup Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
1 X 410g can tomatoes, peeled, chopped
250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
fresh, chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Add the onion, garlic and peppers and sauté until the onion is soft.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown.
- Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric and salt and pepper and sauté for another minute or two.
- Add the rice, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the rice and chicken are cooked and the stock liquid has evaporated.
- Stir the tomato paste and chopped parsley into the mixture. Cook for another 2 minutes, then serve.
This article was paid for by Spekko.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.