Kwesta issues statement on 'shooting incident' on Big Zulu music video set

Kwesta wants to clear his name after a shooting incident at a recent music video shoot.
Kwesta wants to clear his name after a shooting incident at a recent music video shoot.
Image: Instagram/Kwesta via cheino_images

Kwesta has issued a lengthy statement denying any involvement in a shooting incident that allegedly took place while he and four other rappers were on set for a new music video.

Daily Sun reported that two people were allegedly shot after an altercation occurred on the set of rapper Big Zulu's music video for his single Billion, the remixed version of Amamillion.

The incident was reported to have taken place in Westbury, Johannesburg. The rapper had invited big SA hip-hop names Kwesta, Zakwe, Stilo Magolide and YoungstaCPT.

On seeing the report, Kwesta released a statement in which he shared his version of events and dismissed any assumptions regarding his involvement in the incident.

"On the afternoon of March 12, I was invited to a music video recording in Westbury, Johannesburg, for Big Zulu’s latest single Billion Amamillion remix together with Zakwe and YoungstaCPT," he explained.

"An incident occurred between two guys that were at the video shoot. I am not sure who the guys were as I was invited to the shoot and was not made privy to the cast.

"I was told that an altercation occurred between two individuals just as we wrapped the shoot. I am not aware of what the altercation was about, but it led to one of the guys firing a firearm." 

The rapper added that the person who fired the gun allegedly fled the scene and calm was restored on set, although they saw no reason to stay as they had finished shooting.

"Later in the evening I started getting calls that I am being accused of shooting people. I would like to declare that this is not true and that I was not involved in any altercations that led to people being shot. I just happened to be near the scene," he said.

"I have never owned a gun, carried a gun or even shot one at any point in my life."

Kwesta said he would make a statement to the police and clear his name. 

Police spokesperson Capt Mavela Masondo confirmed that a case of attempted murder had been opened at the Sophiatown police station. 

Masondo said he would update SowetanLIVE's sister publication TshisaLIVE on any developments. He had not done so at the time of publishing this article, which will be updated when he does. 

Read Kwesta's full statement below.

View this post on Instagram

On the afternoon of the 12th of March 2020, I was invited to a music video recording in Westberry JHB, for @bigzulu_sa’s latest single “Billion” Amamillion Remix together with @zakwesa and @youngstacpt . An incident occurred between two guys that were at the video shoot, I am not sure who the guys were as I was invited to the shoot and was not made privy of the cast. I was told that an altercation occurred between two individuals just as we wrapped the shoot, I am not aware over what the altercation was about, but it led to one of the guys firing a firearm. After hearing the gun shoots we went to see what was happening, at that point Big Zulu intervened to remedy the situation and stop the guy from shooting. The shooter thereafter fled the scene. To our assumption after the incident was over, we didn’t see anyone that got hurt or appeared to be shot as some people had run away after hearing the gun shots. After waiting there for a couple of minutes we figured all was well and no one was hurt. We then decided to leave the scene as the video was done and it was getting dark. Later in the evening I started getting calls that I am being accused of shooting people. I would like to declared that this is not true and that I was not involved in any altercations that led to people being shot, I just happened to be near the scene. Certain people accusing me of such is mind boggling as I have never owned a gun, carried a gun or even shot one at any point in my life. I will be going to the police station to make a statement and vindicate my name. I hope that the people shot can have a speedy recovery, I will be keeping them in my prayers. Justice will be served, and I am sure the production company will work with the police to do whatever it takes to track down the culprit.

A post shared by KwestaDaKAR (@kwestadakar) on


Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

X