Stream The River, Lockdown, The Queen and more SA hits
Look no further than SA’s shores for your next binge-watch session
One of the most addictive drama series to come out of Mzansi this year is 1Magic’s telenovela The River, a series about two rival families whose lives are turned upside down after the discovery of a valuable diamond.
All episodes recently launched on streaming service Showmax, making it possible to binge-watch the entire series from the very beginning. Brand-new episodes air every night, shortly after their TV broadcast.
Here’s why we can’t wait to binge-watch The River
- Its complex plot and unexpected twists will keep you coming back for more. You never know what’s going to happen next.
- Lindiwe Dlamini is an unpredictable character you’ll either love or love to hate. The mining magnate is prepared to go to any length (even murder) to get what she wants.
- One plot twist after another will keep you guessing about whether the truth about who owns the biggest diamond that’s just been discovered will ever come out.
- From episode one, you’ll have questions that need to be answered, including what the connection between Tumi and Lindiwe is and whether Lindiwe really killed Tumi.
- Everyone loves an underdog, but we’re not sure if we should be rooting for Cobra, the black sheep of the Mokoena family. You definitely want to know more about this character.
- You get to see life through two opposing views – that of the Mokoenas, who come from a disadvantaged background, and the Dlaminis, who, on the surface, seem to have it all.
Looking for more local entertainment? Here are four more local gems to binge-watch:
1. Lockdown, seasons 1 and 2
At the Thabazimbi Women's Correctional Service, it’s not just the walls holding the characters imprisoned. They are also dealing with some personal and psychological challenges from which they cannot break free. Binge the first two seasons before season 3 launches on Mzansi Magic later this month. Watch it now »
2. The Queen, seasons 1 and 2
Before The River, the masterminds behind the series brought us The Queen. Naturally, you can expect tension, drama, intrigue, betrayal and everything in between. The first two series are now available to stream. Watch it now »
3. Isithembiso, seasons 1 and 2
This gripping youth drama tells the story of two young people from rural SA trying to make it in the dazzling city of Joburg – but all that glitters is not always gold. Watch it now »
4. Isibaya, seasons 1 to 4
In Thukela Valley, a century-old feud between two powerful families tears a loving couple apart. The bitter feud continues in eEgoli, the city of gold, where the Zungus seek to build their fortune. Can the couple’s love survive or will their families bring it to an end? Watch it now »
Sign up for Showmax and get a 14-day free trial.
DStv Compact and Compact Plus subscribers get Showmax for only R49. Find out more here >>
This article was paid for by Showmax.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.