Mdu in baby mama drama - Kwaito star arrested on assault charge

Picture credit: Lesley Mofokeng.
Picture credit: Lesley Mofokeng.

Kwaito legend Mdu Masilela is apologetic and blames his poor judgment for the assault case he faces.

Masilela spoke exclusively to Sowetan last night at his Sandton home with his wife Sarah by his side after baby mama Sibahle Dlamini opened a case of assault against him at Sandringham police station in Johannesburg. He's out on R500 bail.

"I apologise to my wife and I'm thankful that she's still by my side. I'm disappointed in myself that I could fall in the same trap twice. I did another blunder and I'm sorry to put my wife through this," Masilela said.

Sarah said she stood by her husband.

"I respect the vows I made to my husband. I stand by him and support him fully."

Masilela said he met Dlamini last year and their secret liaison resulted in a child. He said he couldn't abandon the baby, which is now eight months old and accommodated them in his other house in Bramley, Johannesburg.

He said he paid damages to Dlamini's family.

"My judgment is always wrong and my wife always advises me. But without consulting her I wanted the child to carry my surname," he said.

Reflecting on the Saturday incident, Masilela said he had gone to evict Dlamini from the house in Bramley when the fight broke out. "There was never any intent on my part to do any harm to her. My wife was informed where I was going to and the purpose of the visit," he said.

"The content of the discussion and her calling my wife, only to realise she knows about our meeting, led to her uncalled for outburst. In the course of the altercation and while defending myself she might have been hurt. Nothing persisted to show intent on my part. I feel the matter can be resolved without it being for public consumption.

"She threw a glass of wine and hit me with many objects."

They both met an officer at Bramley police station where they agreed not to lay charges. But things changed on Sunday evening when Dlamini, an SABC employee, laid a charge of common assault. Masilela also laid a counter charge of assault.

Yesterday morning police came knocking on Masilela's door but he was out so he later handed himself over and appeared at the Hillbrow Magistrate's Court. The case was postponed until next month.

"I'm not proud of what happened over the weekend and I wish to extend my apology to women all over South Africa and the world. There are better ways to deal with disputes and disagreements."

Captain Allie Kodisang confirmed Masilela had handed himself over to the police, adding that they were investigating a case of common assault.

Dlamini confirmed the incident but declined to comment further.