Top DJ fears for his life
Metro FM DJ Wilson B Nkosi is living in fear.
For the past month the veteran broadcaster has been receiving threatening calls at work, warning him to be "very careful on Sunday nights".
This is the latest twist in the behind-the-scenes drama unfolding between the DJ and Pretoria promoter DJ Best (real name Ditlhakiso Mothabela) over R8000 Nkosi allegedly owes him.
This was after Nkosi did not perform at his show on May 31 at The Barnyard Theatre in Pretoria.
Nkosi decided not to honour the gig because Mothabela used a picture of Eddie Zondi, his late colleague and friend, on a flyer promoting the show.
Nkosi said he won't pay back the money because he declined other shows as he was already booked for the Barnyard event.
Mothabela called him a "liar" because, he claimed, Nkosi performed at Taliban in GaRankuwa on the same night.
Nkosi went to the police after receiving what he called a "threatening SMS" from a number he didn't recognise.
It read: "I've seen your e-mail, I went through every sentence of it and understood it, I am not getting my money back that's what you are saying, fine Willie. Please yourself, but rest assured Willie, the last laugh will be mine with or without that kleingeld [change], see you around."
Nkosi then replied that he would inform the police. Another message landed 30 minutes later with Mothabela's name and address.
The tiff originated when Mothabela used Zondi's image to promote a show without the consent of the late radio man's family, according to Nkosi. But Mothabela hit back: "Nkosi acts like he has exclusive rights to Eddie Zondi."
Nkosi replied: "I declined to play because I'm not in the business of exploiting other people's miseries and profiting from them."
Yesterday, Mothabela told Sowetan that Nkosi had opened a case of intimidation against him.
"He said he received a threatening SMS from me. But I just told him that I got the e-mails and understood the content. I asked the cop who called me if there was anything intimidating there. He said that Wilson reported that he gets threatening calls at work. And I asked if it was me. I know nothing about those."
Nkosi said he received calls off-air during the special broadcast to mark a year since Zondi's death.
One caller told him his life was in danger and then hung up. The last one warned him to be careful on Sunday nights.
"It was more of a warning. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out why the voice said Sunday evenings because everyone knows I go to play at gigs. That makes me feel unsafe," Nkosi said. "It's not about the money. If he wants the money he can go to court. The threats and all that will not cut it."
Warrant Officer Moses Maphakela confirmed that a case of intimidation had been opened at Sandton police station but no one had been arrested. He said investigations are continuing.