e.tv pulls out of Saftas
THE South African Film and Television Awards has suffered yet another blow with the withdrawal of free-to-air television channel e.tv just three days before the ceremony.
The awards is scheduled to take place at Gallagher Estate in Midrand on Friday and Saturday.
Monde Twala, group head of e.tv, confirmed that the channel has withdrawn all its programming and presenter participation from the awards.
Though Twala said the channel was not in a position to share its reasons, Saftas have revealed that e.tv withdrew due to dissatisfaction over the manner in which the Saftas business was conducted.
e.tv shows which had been nominated for the awards, included Rhythm City, Scandal and Club 808. Both soapies, Scandal and Rhythm City got seven nominations respectively and Club 808 received one nomination.
Saftas chairman Eddie Mbalo said it was a blow to the entire film and television industry when e.tv withdrew from the awards.
Mbalo said they were shocked when they received a letter from e.tv's manager for local programming Keshni Rajoo.
"Rajoo expressed her dissatisfaction. It is safe to mention that Rajoo, who is a e.tv's representative in the committee, had never conveyed their concerns to the Saftas."
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.