Mon Sep 26 21:02:22 SAST 2016

Matlaba red riles Vermezovic

By Mark Gleeson | Aug 29, 2014 | COMMENTS [ 19 ]

ORLANDO Pirates fullback Thabo Matlaba was set to face an internal grilling yesterday and a possible fine from his club after a needless sending off on Wednesday night that soured celebrations for his coach Vladimir Vermezovic.

Matlaba was red-carded for stamping on Mamelodi Sundowns substitute Kudakwashe Mahachi in stoppage time at the end of the 3-0 win for the Buccaneers at Loftus Versfeld.

The defender now sits out their next two matches, against Polokwane City tomorrow and Bidvest Wits on September 13. He will, however, be available for the MTN8 final against Kaizer Chiefs a week later.

Matlaba went in with a nasty studs-up lunge on the ankle of the new Zimbabwean signing as the match ended in testy circumstances and with the somewhat bizarre spectre of the referee, Robert Smith being persuaded by Sundowns coach Pitso Mosimane and captain Surprise Moriri to send off the Pirates player.

"I had to go onto the pitch to force the referee to give Matlaba a red card. They can suspend me, I don't care," said Mosimane afterwards.

Vermezovic suggested the sending off has tempered his delight at the unexpected victory

"I'm angry with Matlaba for an unnecessary red card. What was the point of stepping on a player when you are 3-0 up? We are going to discuss this and see what to do," he said, suggesting a possible dent in the wallet for the flying left back.

But he praised his side for "playing good football", although he suggested the result had flattered his team.

The quality of the finishing delighted the coach, who said: "I never criticised my strikers when they missed opportunities [in previous matches]. I said they [goals] will come. Fortunately they did, in a very important match.

"I didn't expect the result but I'm not a coach who plays for a draw, my philosophy is always to go for the win. But to beat Sundowns 3-0 away is unbelievable...

"Sundowns also had their opportunities to score and my colleague should be more angry with his players than he is with the ref," added Vermezovic in a little dig at Mosimane.

Vhamsanda

As Lekhosi, I also did not see anything wrong that warranted a red card here. I think the referee pulled out a red card instead of a yellow by mistake.

Aug 29, 2014 8:22 | 1 replies

Shredder

Matlaba was stupid. he stepped on the guy's foot and he (victim) didn't even had the ball.

Aug 29, 2014 9:49 | 1 replies
Aug 29, 2014 9:49 | 0 replies

Rest-In-P*ssy

that was a yellow card offense but I still think Pitso is bitter

Aug 29, 2014 8:33 | 1 replies

Mshovekahle

Bitter and Arrogant

Aug 29, 2014 9:12 | 0 replies

Kgwathi

Come on, Bra Pitso, stop acting like a spoil brat. The offence was committed at the dying minutes of the game. Stop blaming Refs for your defeat. Blame your strikers for lacking the composure to finish. Dust yourself, Pitso and continue with the marathon

Aug 29, 2014 9:1 | 0 replies

ModiseP

I don't think he wanted to injure the player. Sometime the deep winning excitement failed you to thing twice that is why the touchline experts said the referee was too harsh. You can put your soccer boots on the opponent soccer boots but didn't injure the player and the player can pretend as injury plus Pitso frustration let Matlaba matching order. Matlaba is a young player and need brotherly advice. Matlaba matching order pass by the same player coming in the field again.

Aug 29, 2014 9:5 | 0 replies

Nzwere

That was definately a yellow card offence, not red. but what I want to know is, why did the refery adher to Pitso's suggestion of issuing a red for Matlaba? does Mr Robert Smith lack balls to think for himself if he wants to give a card or not?

Aug 29, 2014 9:8 | 1 replies

Shredder

RED, RED, RED

Aug 29, 2014 9:50 | 0 replies

mgijimi

Pitso needs to grow up

Aug 29, 2014 9:11 | 2 replies

Mshovekahle

Akhule angabikho mfitshane nje ngawe ha!ha!ha!

Aug 29, 2014 9:16 | 0 replies

sdakwa

So who took the flour.............lol

Aug 29, 2014 9:27 | 0 replies

Kgwathi

For the record and benefit to the less informed, Card inspection is done an hour before kick off to give the affected party the opportunity to remedy the situation. Sundowns manager Mike Ntombela was made aware that the player`s card had expired, and Nana informed Pitso not to field the player. Pitso being his arrogant self, vehemently refused and said the player`s new card will be taken and inspected during the interval. Hence the protest was officially lodged during the interval. My brotherly advice to Pitso, ACCEPT DEFEAT AND MOVE ON.

Aug 29, 2014 9:13 | 0 replies

Normad

I dont condone reckless tackles on the pitch buy players but the referee's decision to issue a red card to Matlaba remains questionable. I believe he was put under pressure by Pitso and his crue to do something hence the situation was a bit sour. Soccer is a very phisical game but referees needs to stand their ground in making sound decisions during the game. As for VV please be considerate to your playrs as well, telling the media that internal steps will be taken against Matlaba might kill the players spirit and confidence. Internal issues must be dealt with internally, the world does not need to know about it

Aug 29, 2014 9:38 | 1 replies

Nzwere

Sure Bhakhania, but I cant help thinking that he said that in the heat of the moment. Nna my biggest problem is, the ref was infuenced by Pitso's dancing to issue a red card, is that allowed?

Aug 29, 2014 10:23 | 0 replies

Maduvula

that was not necessary, hope he's learnt his lessons, am worried about him and Roy, they make lots of silly mistakes lately, is it early nerves?

Aug 29, 2014 10:12 | 0 replies

sdakwa

Coach, this belongs in the dressing room. Anyway you have the extremely talented Phungwayo who can slot into that position and makes us not to miss Matlaba. UP THE BUCS MAAN

Aug 29, 2014 10:30 | 1 replies

Dkok

thanks Sdakwa, keep the dirty linen indoors

Aug 29, 2014 1:42 | 0 replies

Itjontji-Mali

m so confused with this officials, you look at solomon mathe's tackle on Yitjukutja in the mtn8 which characterise a streight red but did not see even a yellow. this one for matlaba needed a verbal warning but he saw red...eish son!!!!!

Aug 29, 2014 11:19 | 0 replies