Sat Oct 22 10:58:43 SAST 2016

Bucs add more woes for Downs

By Mark Gleeson at Loftus Versfeld | Aug 28, 2014 | COMMENTS [ 72 ]

THREE sucker punches saw Orlando Pirates catch champions Mamelodi Sundowns and subject them to a humiliating 3-0 home defeat last night as Kermit Erasmus scored with two brilliant chips.

Substitute Lehlohonolo Majoro blasted home a rasping left footer for the third goal for the Buccaneers.

All goals came from classic counter-attacks as Pirates caught their hosts with swift balls from deep and gave them a lesson in finishing.

It was Bucs' first league win and left the Brazilians still awaiting a home success this season.

The game ended on a sour note for Pirates as Thabo Matlaba was sent off for a stamping incident, but it detracted little from the way they engineered a massively morale-boosting win.

The first goal was a classic counter as Pirates won possession from a Sundowns attack, and two passes from Thandani Ntshumayelo and Happy Jele saw Erasmus bear down on goal and then scoop the ball with unerring accuracy over the head of disbelieving goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene.

Erasmus' brilliant 14th- minute goal was followed by a flurry of chances at either end as the opener enlivened the tempo of the game to the delight of the 20 000-plus crowd, who had delayed the kick off by 15 minutes with their late arrival at the venue.

In the space of three minutes, the ball struck the woodwork three times.

Hlompho Kekana blasted a long-range effort against the Pirates crossbar in the 27th minute.

But immediately the visitors counter-attacked, with Oupa Manyisa ghosting into the penalty area with impeccable timing, and took advantage of Alje Schut's lapse of concentration to toe-poke the ball against the left upright of Sundowns' goal.

A minute later, Surprise Moriri plucked a ball out the sky onto his chest and then hit a thumping full volley in almost the same place Kekana had struck just seconds earlier.

Again to the dismay of the Sundowns' fans, the shot cannoned back into play off the crossbar.

Pirates' short-stopper Senzo Meyiwa made a fine stop to deny Teko Modise after a clever one-two with Bongani Zungu.

Pirates could have been 2-0 up when Erasmus beat the two Sundowns' central defenders and set himself up from close range, only to hit agonisingly wide.

Meyiwa then made two potentially calamitous errors but recovered on both occasions. The first came as Mame Niang almost catch him in possession, while the second saw him unsure of how to handle a dipping free-kick, which he eventually scrambled away with his feet.

After the break, Downs took the game to Pirates, who countered again in the 63rd minute as Daine Klate set Erasmus away, and again he lofted the ball over a bemused-looking Mweene.

Erasmus was then replaced by Majoro, who hammered home a left-footer for his third goal in two games after another counter attack that Thabo Nthethe did not clear properly.

The Buccaneers protested before the game over an outdated registration card for Schut, but after winning they might drop the action.

l Free State Stars pipped University of Pretoria 1-0 at Tuks Stadium in Tshwane in another Premiership match last night.

Aug 28, 2014 8:59 | 2 replies
Aug 28, 2014 9:8 | 1 replies

As if there's a right article

Aug 28, 2014 9:12 | 1 replies

Pitso bought more than 10 avarenge players like hoping to win everything this seoson , I mean how can you explain the buying of the likes of Luyolo Nomandela and many others , The only quality player is Niang , The rest are useless

Aug 28, 2014 9:52 | 1 replies

That Mbatha boy is good but Pitso excluse him always

Aug 28, 2014 1:22 | 0 replies

GO scribble your rubbish on a article dedicated to chimps not here village idiot

Aug 28, 2014 1:17 | 0 replies

bucs 4 life the only team that leave coaches dismantled lol as 4 Pitso moemish

Aug 28, 2014 9:1 | 0 replies

ka bo yellow.......

Aug 28, 2014 9:4 | 1 replies

Hey wena !Ka bo yellow masandawana ,re tla ba kreya.

Aug 28, 2014 10:6 | 0 replies

Well done Nzwere for your predictions. You said Kermit was gonna score 2 goals and you hated to say it that Chiefs were gonna win.

I see Nzwere has scored again. That guy is lethal

Aug 28, 2014 9:5 | 1 replies

thank you my Zebra friend, only you as a fair Zebra will acknowledge that. thank you com Shredder..... eish Jersey number 45 and 95 are on fire baba, so is your Beyonce and Yitjokotja.

Aug 28, 2014 9:35 | 0 replies

@Speru and DJ-Winner aka Mr.Rise - We won again

Aug 28, 2014 9:6 | 1 replies
Aug 28, 2014 9:8 | 1 replies

Don't play mgijimi or Vendaloius vs RobinX on me

Aug 28, 2014 9:17 | 1 replies

Careful son, do not put my name where it is not necessary

Aug 28, 2014 1:24 | 0 replies

what was schut saying again yesterday?

Aug 28, 2014 9:11 | 1 replies

Good question my DTC. Let him repeat his words.

Aug 28, 2014 9:13 | 0 replies

Wow, If last night's game was something to eat,I would say Bellisimo!!!Hail the Chef. What a delightful game of soccer coming from the only Gold Star holders of ACL against the only other Silver Medalists of the ACL in Mzansi. Respect to both teams for such a thriller and of course Dankie to the DTC troops. Dankie Champ Erasmus for those world class goals. Dankie Champ Majoro for another great goal.Champ Senzo and the rest of the player Champs,Dankie manne. Blackenwhite(Dtc Psl)(Gold Star & Silver Medal - CCL)

Aug 28, 2014 9:24 | 1 replies

It is true we have moered Pirates in the past and we will still moer them in the future.Watch out .

Aug 28, 2014 10:10 | 1 replies

With what I saw with your two cross bar strikes, I believe what you say Yellow one. It is just that we were also too good and Lady luck was also wearing Black and White last night. You guys are really good. I cant take that from a good team.

Aug 28, 2014 10:24 | 1 replies

The minute i saw that referee Bennet on the field i knew it.It was a bad day ,my tall striker (Mame Niang ) failed to score ;My coach was crying and i need a refund because i did not see the last 20 minutes of the game.

Aug 28, 2014 11:47 | 0 replies

Nzwere Ersmus is going to score an early goal, Downs' back four will find it difficult to deal with his runs. 2 goals for him tonight. Majoro will come in the second half to finish the job. sorry downs, we are deperate for the points. Bucs is the limit. =================================== This is what I said yesterday and it happened exactly like that, but A Zebra by the name of Bunyulwane what what dismissed me like I was dreaming...

Aug 28, 2014 9:29 | 2 replies

Yeah Sangoma Nzwere

Aug 28, 2014 9:55 | 1 replies

hahahahahaha, congrats t you for winning all your games this season, this sets up fire works for the up coming MTS8 final.

Aug 28, 2014 10:24 | 0 replies

Wow my DTC. You have just demonstrated beyond doubt that you know your DTC Champs like the back of your hand. Your analysis of the situation is definitely great.

Aug 28, 2014 10:27 | 1 replies

Thank you my DTC, we have missed your analysis for quiet sometime. are you sharp my DTC?

Aug 28, 2014 10:31 | 1 replies

I am superb and I hope you are as well my DTC. What is your take on DTC Nsimbi? He seems to be shaping up very well and it cant be good news for our opponents. I will check your response later in the day my DTC.

Aug 28, 2014 11:1 | 1 replies

My Blackenwhite(Dtc Psl)(Gold Star & Silver Medal - CCL), I think Nsimbi is one of the best defenders SA has ever had. he is in the league of the Lucas Radebes of this land. very clean tackles and he is marshaling his back 4 superbly. he is not one of the fastest but he has a very sharp timing. he knows when to tackle and when to jog an opponent. his mistakes are very few, infact next to none. I really like the way he imposes himself to the game. I wish Ingubo(Mahamutsa) can take a leaf out of him.

Aug 28, 2014 12:23 | 0 replies

Eish T-bo love the red card was really not necessary, now you are going to miss the mtn 8 final .

Aug 28, 2014 9:39 | 3 replies

Matlaba will be available for the final. He would have served his 2 match suspension by then. Both teams have two games to play in between before the 20th, the day of the final.

Aug 28, 2014 9:47 | 1 replies

Yeah we want all your players to be available so that you don't come with excuses

Aug 28, 2014 9:53 | 1 replies

@Kebatlawenafela. My blood has always been and will always be Gold and Black. Forever Fearless. I was just pointing out to our fellow blogger. I actually cant wait to stun Pirates on the 20th

Aug 28, 2014 9:57 | 0 replies

is he going to miss it? but we are playing with Polokwane City on Saterday and Wits on 13 September, so I thought those are the two games that he will seat out.

Aug 28, 2014 9:50 | 0 replies

Red card is two ganes now, which jungle are you coming from, 30 aug we playing City,13 we playing wits 20 he is available to kill the zebras

Aug 28, 2014 1:41 | 0 replies

Aug 28, 2014 9:45 | 0 replies

Finally Pirates strikers are coming to the party when it matters the most , As a proud Khosi supporter , I cant wait for the final , Qhude qhude maninginingi zidala zombili zodla efileyo

Aug 28, 2014 9:48 | 0 replies