World Cup 2014 ticket sales on hold
RIO DE JANEIRO - Fifa said it was postponing the second round of ticket sales for next year's World Cup to comply with a request by Brazilian authorities to monitor the process.
"In order to ensure the Brazilian authorities' involvement in supervising the procedures for the allocation of tickets following the first sales period, Fifa have had to postpone the draw," football's world governing body said on its website.
Results of the draw for applicants for the tickets requested in the first round will now be known only on November 10 and not on Monday (November 4), as previously agreed. Therefore Fifa decided to put off the start of the next sales period from Tuesday (November 5) to November 11.
"As the next sales period is on a first come, first served basis, it is essential that all those applicants for tickets from the first period have been informed on the status of their application by the time we reopen sales," explained Fifa's director of marketing Thierry Weil.
"We cannot risk any fan not being aware of his or her success before we put the remaining tickets on the market. Obviously, our priority is to ensure every applicant has an equal chance of success."