Wed Jul 30 09:01:26 SAST 2014
Kalawa Jazmee does it for Madiba (PHOTOS)

Record label Kalawa Jazmee musicians and staff paid a visit to the Doug Whitehead School in honour o.

Parker set to rein in Bafana scorers

By Nick Said | Sep 10, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 20 ]

BERNARD Parker's brace against Botswana on Saturday took his tally to 17 for Bafana Bafana, putting him in outright fifth place in the all-time scorers list for the national side.

The Kaizer Chiefs star netted twice in the final six minutes, first a wonderful free-kick from 25m, and then a penalty.

Having netted in each of Bafana's past four World Cup qualifiers, and scored five goals in all, Parker is now joint top scorer in the African section along with four other players though all the others will get the opportunity to add to their tally in the final round of qualifiers.

Parker was not selected by former coach Pitso Mosimane for the qualifiers against Ethiopia and Botswana in June last year. Bafana drew both matches.

It now leaves the 27-year-old with the possibility of chasing down the country's leading marksman, Benni McCarthy, who scored 31 goals in 80 international matches, though to do that he would need to rediscover the prolific form in front of goal that he displayed in the early part of his international career.

Parker took eight internationals to get his first Bafana goal, netting a brace in a 3-0 friendly win over Malawi in 2008, but then scored seven in his next nine internationals, including victories over Ghana and Cameroon, and the first in a 2-1 success against Norway.

Parker has not been helped at times by being played wide on the left rather than as a central striker, not that you would ever hear him complain about that.

He will have the chance to equal or overtake Phil Masinga in fourth spot on the all-time list when Bafana tackle Zimbabwe at Orlando Stadium tonight, the lanky former national team striker having netted 18 goals for his country.

Benni McCarthy - 31 goals in 80 internationals; Shaun Bartlett - 29 in 74 internationals; Katlego Mphela - 23 in 52 internationals; Masinga - 18 in 58 internationals; Parker - 17 in 60 internationals

Unless if he starts scoring braces and hat tricks he won't get to 31. Age is catching up with him. Parker and Mahoota are the only 2 players in South Africa who can kick the ball with both feet and you would know whether they are right footed or left footed. Brilliant stuff from these 2 guys (Parker and Mahoota).

Sep 10, 2013 7:30 | 0 replies

Shredder
@Nzwere
Shredder
@Maqhankqa

Re-read your comment you will see how idiotic it is.
=========================
there is nothing idiotic about @Moqhankga's comment, it is the absolute truth.
LOL

Yesterday I said I don't take your comments seriously. Now today you really prove why I don't take you seriously by supporting the idiocy of that cretin Maqhankqa.

I mean how could you say "ADD THE OWN GOAL HE SCORED IN ETHIOPIA", read again OWN GOAL. Yet you support that idiotic statement when he said "Parker has scored 18 goals for Bafana Bafana". Read again FOR Bafana bafana. Was that goal FOR Bafana Bafana or AGAINST Bafana Banfana. Muppet,
===================================
hahahahehehe, I really work on your nerves ne? lol, but my friend you are no judge, I will comment anyway, whether you take me seriously or not. no pun intended.

Sep 10, 2013 10:12 | 0 replies

@Nzwere - hahahahehehe, I really work on your nerves ne? lol, but my friend you are no judge, I will comment anyway, whether you take me seriously or not. no pun intended
_________________________________________________________________
Not at all. Of course you can comment anyway you want. LOL

Sep 10, 2013 10:18 | 0 replies

Shredder
_________________________________________________________________
Not at all. Of course you can comment anyway you want. LOL
=====================================
thanx my friend, but I must give it to you, you are always true to yourself, consistant I mean. not like you friend Shakashaka who gives us a Zebras team list for Bafana Bafana and when they lose he accuses us of not being patriotic when we question his team selection. he is such a confused soul that one, but he is still my friend. you too Shredder, you are still my friend. you must start watching games though.....lol

Sep 10, 2013 10:23 | 0 replies

SOWETAN IS CENSORING MY COMMENTS.

Sep 10, 2013 10:28 | 0 replies

I should have a right of reply from these bovine Zebras who have been throwing expletives at me. Whether the Zebras like it or not the goal Parker scored in Ethiopia must be counted in his tally of goals and it will increase his tally tremendously, to 18 GOALS, finish & klaar.

Sep 10, 2013 10:35 | 0 replies

Maqhankqa
================================
Ke laka leo....

Sep 10, 2013 10:36 | 0 replies

@Nzwere

No man, I don't watch Carling Black Label. The Supersport game I missed because I had some commitments. No Nzwere, the thing is sometimes you run away from the truth. That's my problem with you. LOL

Sep 10, 2013 10:40 | 0 replies

Shredder
@Nzwere

===================================
I think it's more like the truth is running away from me, but I get your point.

Sep 10, 2013 10:42 | 0 replies

@ParCOW

If you are really serious about chasing MAGIC FEET's record then try and avoid Katsande, your fellow zebra, in tonight's encounter or else your soccer career will come to a premature end.

Sep 10, 2013 10:11 | 0 replies