Sun Oct 26 03:51:37 SAST 2014
'Big Brother' snoozers should be losers

JUST how do Mozambican Trezagah, Zambian Macky2, Malawian Mr 265 and Zimbabwean Butterphly survive i.

Drug-free weighs Mamabolo case

By Ramatsiyi Moholoa | May 02, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 13 ]

THE SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport will meet its legal team over the next few days to study the decision of an independent disciplinary committee that cleared ultra-marathoner Ludwick Mamabolo of a doping offence.

After a marathon hearing, Mamabolo was cleared on Tuesday, which means he is confirmed as the 2012 Comrades Marathon winner. But he was provisionally stripped of the title and denied access to the winner's prize money of R300000 when he was told he had tested positive for methylhexaneamine.

Methylhexaneamine is a nasal decongestant available in many over-the-counter medicines and dietary supplements, but it is regarded by anti-doping agencies as a stimulant because it increases heart rate and blood pressure, sending more blood to the areas of the body that need it.

On June 19, two weeks after the race, Mamabolo was suspended from taking part in all athletics activities until the matter was resolved. Although his B sample was tested and it too had traces of the stimulant, an independent panel found too many irregularities in the testing procedure to uphold a ban.

Institute chief executive Khalid Galant yesterday told Sowetan the anti-doping body would decide after meeting its lawyers whether to accept or appeal against the outcome.

"The judgment is quite lengthy (60 pages), I will meet our legal team in the next few days to study it. We have three weeks to appeal the decision."

Mamabolo was on cloud nine yesterday: "I have always maintained that I was innocent and justice will prevail one day. I can focus on my athletics career now that I have my good name back. Athletics is my career, I support my family using the money I get from running.

"A big thank you to all the people who supported me from day one, and my lawyers Werksmans Attorneys, who took the matter up pro bono.

"It has been frustrating, but things changed in February when I obtained an interdict to resume my athletics career while the hearing continued to drag on.

"What a relief, I will now be able to sleep like any other person," said Mamabolo, who will compete in the Nguni Grill 28km road race in Polokwane on Saturday. "While the case was going on, I never stopped training for this year's Comrades Marathon (on June 2). My aim is to win it (again)."

Commenting on the outcome of the case, Werkmans Attorneys director David Hertz said: "We are very pleased with the ruling. An innocent athlete has his livelihood back and is free to compete again.

"There were far too many irregularities in the testing process and we are certain this is the right result for him and sport."

Dear Isaac you must be relieved and its good your name is cleared the last thing any athlete needs is to go down like that, congrats again baba and keep away from those illegal sweets

May 02, 2013 7:11 | 0 replies

Is he now gona get the money he won?

May 02, 2013 12:49 | 0 replies

Yes yes yes, thats my man over there. the whole testing s**T was racism humilliation and secrilage,it started with caster< i never saw onother race subjected to this bu**ts

May 02, 2013 12:10 | 0 replies

This guy is a winner, always supported him. They were just hating on him as if being black is not hard enough...

May 02, 2013 10:34 | 0 replies

finally you can enjoy your hard earned funds in peace.

u r a winner

May 02, 2013 10:0 | 0 replies

Re a go lebogisha kolobe ya bjatladi. Next time they must use advanced technology for illegal substance testing. You must also sue their candy a$$es for humiliating u. Re go lakaletsa mahlatse ge o tlo shireletsa sefoka seo sa gago. Kolobe!

May 02, 2013 9:54 | 0 replies

Now this is a better article not this nonsense...Timeslive....

"I have always maintained that I was innocent and that justice would prevail one day.

"I can focus on my athletics career now that I have my good name back," Mamabolo said.

Mamabolo crossed the line first in the KwaZulu-Natal up run in May last year but was provisionally stripped of the title and denied the winner's prize money when he tested positive for methylhexaneamine.

Though his secondary sample was tested, and it, too, had traces of the stimulant, an independent panel found that there had been too many irregularities in the testing to uphold a ban.

"What a relief; I will now be able to sleep like any other person," said Mamabolo, 35.

He will now compete in the Nguni Grill 28km road race in Polokwane on Saturday.

"While the case was going on I never stopped training for this year's Comrades Marathon [on June 2]. My aim is to win it."

The SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport said it would meet its legal team over the next few days to study the decision.

Institute CEO Khalid Galant yesterday told The Times: "The judgment is quite lengthy [60 pages]. I will meet our legal team in the next few days to study it. We have three weeks in which to appeal the decision."

"There were far too many irregularities in the testing and we are certain that this is the right result for him and [the] sport," Hertz said

May 02, 2013 9:44 | 0 replies

Hah so a sinus spray could actually give you stamina to win the comrades marathon?

May 02, 2013 8:26 | 0 replies

Next time o ye ka Moria ba go fe meetse a thapelo, o nwe ona feela.

May 02, 2013 8:26 | 0 replies

Well done My Boy, next time dont drink anything from someone, just take water from Podungwane river boy boy. O seke wa nwa ntho tsa Makgowa tsa go tlhakantswha le di drugs

May 02, 2013 7:47 | 0 replies

Ludwick Mamabolo should sue for trauma, character defamation , loss of earnings and all that stuff with comes with it.
R1million.