Fri Apr 18 02:28:12 SAST 2014
Fri Apr 18 02:28:12 SAST 2014

Bucs yet to decide on CAF venue

Jan 17, 2013 | Nick Said |   19 comments

ORLANDO Pirates will likely make a decision this week on where to take their CAF Champions League clash against Comoros side Djabal FC.

IN THE DARK: Orlando Pirates coach Roger de Sa

The Buccaneers host their minnow opponents in the first round of the competition on the weekend of February 16 to 17, just days after the resumption of the Absa Premiership.

Last year the club took their first-round match to the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth, where they lost 3-1 to Angolan side Recreativo do Libolo.

Djabal FC will not present anywhere near the challenge of the Angolan champions, but coach Roger de Sa says he is still wary of taking the fixture away from their Orlando base, where altitude will also give them an advantage.

"We are not sure where the game will be played yet and I am not sure what commitments the club has to other venues," De Sa told Sowetan. "Obviously, we will have to respect any decisions that are taken on where the game will be played, but I am definitely in favour of keeping the game at 'home' in Orlando Stadium."

A decision to keep the game in Soweto would make sense from a travelling perspective too. The Buccaneers host SuperSport United on February 13 and Platinum Stars on February 20.

Should Pirates get past Djabal, they will likely face Zambian side Zanaco in the next round, followed by DRC side TP Mazembe, who were champions in 2009 and 2010.

Your Subscription

The SowetanLIVE Network