Sat Oct 25 01:53:20 SAST 2014
Connie returns to save troubled Generations

Connie Ferguson has confirmed that she will be returning to Generations after weeks of dodging circu.

Boxing fraternity mourns loss of Madondile

By Bongani Magasela | Nov 13, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 14 ]

PROMISING junior featherweight Lundi Madondile was murdered in East London on Saturday.

Boxing SA director of operations Loyiso Mtya said the left-handed boxer from Scenery Park was stabbed to death on Saturday night by someone he knew.

Mtya said he was told that a known person stormed into Madondile's home and stabbed him.

"I was told he died in his shack," said Mtya.

Madondile's death is the latest in a barrage of blows to South African boxing this year.

The sport has also lost veteran matchmaker Moss "Lord Mayor" Tau, world-class ring official Isaac Tshabalala, promoter Korda Manqina, manager Magali Botha, boxers Malibongwe Thoba, Galelekile Magabi and Corrie Sanders, as well as writer Junior Motsei.

Madondile, 30, was part of the Eyethu Boxing Gym, owned by trainer-manager Mzimasi Mnguni.

"I'm at a loss for words," said Mnguni. "Madondile had just qualified to challenge reigning South African junior featherweight champion Macbute Sinyabi. I was going to stage that fight on December 8."

The boxer, who was rated No 6 in the country, shocked the boxing fraternity by stopping talented Jerome Cebekhulu from Durban in the second round at Mdantsane Indoor Centre on October 21.

Always said to lose a human life!!! i hope the killer is sent to jail for a long time.

Nov 13, 2012 7:4 | 0 replies

That is the mentality of all boxers and karatekas, they think they can fight the knifes and guns, it is in their head, they are not scared of hurt, that is where the problem is and you will never take it out of them, they are like that for life.

Nov 13, 2012 11:6 | 0 replies

Number 6 ranked boxer in the country dies in his 'zozo'!!! This is crazy. May his soul find peace. and may the Boxing vultures never find sleep for exploiting our sportsmen.

Nov 13, 2012 10:12 | 0 replies

Imagine your rated number 6 in the country yet you still live in a shack! Travesty.

Nov 13, 2012 10:3 | 0 replies

This said news indeed. The problem with our fighters they believe in themselves that they can fight the attacker, forgetting that the attacker has a weapon. You might be well trained, but it is suicidal to underestimate the power of a weapon. I will encourage people to surrender, to save their lives. I know it's a difficult thing to do, but you can save your life.

Nov 13, 2012 9:50 | 0 replies

SABC please bring back our boxing like you are doing in other sport codes. Our people shouldn't die in poverty because of untold reasons why some people don't follow them, Some of us can afford the pay channels but it just was gonna be fair if boxing was able to be viewed by also those who can't afford to rent a tv viewing for some R500.00 amounts and less or more. Bring justice to poeple . Please,

Nov 13, 2012 8:47 | 0 replies

I wish that our TV people could bring back boxing on tv so that we can go back to the pride we used to have in boxing. Infact what could be the reason why was boxing stopped from being view on tv, could it be because it's a spot enjoyed in the Eastern Cape or it wasn't adding any value to the society?

I bet you,this guy at age 30 would not be still crushing in a shack if he was so popular as the likes of the former SA boxers.

He would have gotten himself a popularity that could have caused him to have money and stay in a safe and secured place where there was no jealous guy who could have gone to attack him.

Nov 13, 2012 8:43 | 0 replies

My condolences goes to the family of my brother here,I am big fan of boxing having done boxing myself. I am deeply touched by the murder of this young man. Well it's a loss to the state.
I just wish and hope that the guy who killed him will just be caught and be thrown in jail for the rest of his parthetic life. Police please do your job and stop doing senseless things.

Nov 13, 2012 8:35 | 0 replies

Mxm how can u b a proffesional and live in a shack? I jus dnt get it mna eniway REST in Peace

Nov 13, 2012 8:28 | 0 replies

Oops i meant to say not literally, my bad!!!

Nov 13, 2012 8:13 | 0 replies

@Papage & Voetzek
By the mere fact that he is under Mguni, that says a lot. I'm from Mdantsane where many boxers have been robbed by this man. They live & die poor but fought for tens & even hundreds of thousands, but they will be paid peanuts by this man. May this man's soul rest in peace!!!
But if he hadn't been killed, Macbuti Sinyabi would have in the ring in December literally of course!!!!

Nov 13, 2012 8:12 | 0 replies