Yoyo at mercy of promoters
A SQUABBLE between rival promoters Mzimasi Mnguni and Ayanda Matiti is threatening to floor Mzolisi Yoyo's upcoming SA junior-welterweight title defence against Sam Malinga.
While Mnguni was preparing for the October 21 contest, Matiti approached Boxing SA arguing that Yoyo is his boxer despite the fighter's manager, Dowie Mzini, saying otherwise. Times Media sport can reveal that an emergency meeting was called in East London on Sunday where Matiti met BSA board chairman Ngconde Balfour, the boxing body's Eastern Cape manager, Phakamile Jacobs, as well as Khulile Radu, the chairperson of the ratings committee.
But it seems like the trio's intervention has so far failed as Matiti has vowed to stop the fight from going ahead.
Matiti said: "Yoyo is my boxer and he is a brand I built from nothing. I made a submission to Boxing SA for the fight to be held on November 11. Boxing SA has not responded yet.
"From where I'm sitting Yoyo and Malinga will only fight on November 11. I'm going to do anything to stop the fight from taking place before November 11. I will do anything in my power to restore credibility among Boxing South Africa's licencees."
Contradicting Matiti, Mzini said: "There is a misunderstanding between us and Matiti. The binding contract he signed with Yoyo in 2009 expired last year. Yoyo is not contracted to any promoter at the moment. My boxer has signed with Mr Mnguni for a fight against Malinga on October 21. I want to reiterate that we have agreed with Mr Mnguni on all the conditions of the fight after signing a contract with him.
"We still believe that we have done nothing wrong."