Preview to an execution
HEKKIE "Hexecutioner" Budler will still reign supreme as the IBO mini flyweight champion next weekend, says trainer Colin Nathan.
It will be the whirlwind performer's second defence of the belt when he takes on Florante "Genius" Condes at Emperors Palace on September 22.
Condes, from the Philippines, is no pushover. The 32-year-old left-hander produced an upset in 2007 when he dethroned IBF champion Muhammad Rachman. Condes lost the title in his first defence to Raul Garcia in 2008.
Mexico's Garcia, in turn, lost the title to Nkosinathi Joyi in March 2010.
Condes failed to regain his crown from Joyi, and was also unsuccessful in his attempt to win the WBC International Silver title from Wanheng Menayothin on June 24 last year.
The Filipino is a powerful puncher who comes forward all the time. He can fight at close range and is a smart finisher who has stopped 21 of his 25 victims against six losses and a draw. But that's just lies, damn lies and statistics to Nathan. The young trainer, who is assisted by fitness conditioner Vusi Mtolo, promised fans a spectacular display.
"At 24, Hekkie is yet to reach his potential. Condes is no pushover but we have plans for him. There is no way that we will lose," said Nathan. "We had 10 weeks of hard preparations. The title will remain with the rightful owner."
Budler last fought in March when he outpointed Shamila Kortman over eight rounds. That was the flaxen-haired fighter's 14th points win in 20 victories against a single loss to Gideon Buthelezi for the junior flyweight title on January 1 last year.
"I'm not worried about being inactive since March because I've got Colin in my corner, who knows what he is doing. I also have Vusi, who can get anybody fit," said Budler. The fight will form part of the Golden Gloves Super 8 Last Man Standing cruiserweight tournament semifinals bill.