Sinyabi won't fight for less than R100k
A DISAGREEMENT over purse money is threatening to derail Mzimasi Mnguni's plans to promote Macbute "Macman" Sinyabi's title defence against Oscar Chauke next month.
Sinyabi is demanding R100,000 or more for his eighth defence of the South African junior featherweight crown, while Mnguni insists that what he has offered is fair. The two have refused to say how much the purse is.
Sinyabi, who fights out of Nick Durandt's stable in Johannesburg, argues that Mnguni paid him less when he defended twice against Thabo Sonjica at the Orient Theatre in East London last year.
The 25-year-old champion has so far refused to sign a contract that Mnguni sent last week.
"I want to be paid R100,000 or more for the fight. This is going to be my eighth defence of the title and I deserve to get paid more money," said Sinyabi.
"I'm an entertainer and I have knocked out all the guys who thought they would take my title away from me. I was paid less money when I defended twice against an overrated Sonjica last year. This is why I'm saying I will only fight for R100,000 or more should there be any promoter who is willing to stage my fight against Chauke."
Mnguni responded: "I don't discuss contractual matters with boxers. I only go to their managers.
"Macbute gave his negotiating rights to Nick and I have already sent a contract to them and to Chauke's manager as well."
Meanwhile, Chauke's manager-cum-trainer Manny Fernandes has confirmed receiving the contract, saying: "We are in the process of signing the contract."
Sinyabi, who won the SA title when he stoppedTshepo Mofokengon March 2 2008, has knocked out all his challengers.
The champion last fought when he suffered a 10th-round stoppage to the late Thangthong Kiattaweesuk in an IBF junior featherweight elimination bout held in Thailand on May 18.
And Sinyabi has not defended his belt since he registered a fifth- round stoppage of Thabo Sonjica on December 9 last year.
Sinyabi concluded: "I have not signed a contract with anyone for the Oscar fight.
"I'm not asking for R100,000 or more just because I'm fighting against Oscar. I've done very well in the ring and my profile as a boxer says it all.
"I'm not trying to make myself something I'm not.
"But the truth is that I'm a South African champion who knows his rights."
Durandt was not available for comment.