Fri Oct 31 16:58:28 SAST 2014
Switch off appliances to avoid power cuts tonight

Power utility Eskom on Wednesday called on consumers to switch off geysers, pool pumps and all non-e.

Malinga stripped of Zulu garb

By Ramatsiyi Moholoa | May 31, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 71 ]

SOUTH African boxer Vusi Malinga is an angry man after American customs officials stripped him of his traditional Zulu hat, fighting gown and bracelet, which is known as isiphandla.

Isiphandla is a bracelet made out of goat skin and is deemed to have protective qualities.

The gown, hat and isiphandla were all confiscated soon after Malinga and his entourage landed at the airport in Los Angeles ahead of Saturday's fight against Mexican Leo Santa Cruz.

This is the biggest fight for the Ekurhuleni-based Malinga, who is hoping to win his first world title in the fight for the vacant IBF bantamweight belt against Cruz, who is unbeaten in 19 fights.

Malinga, who is of Zulu royal blood, is accompanied by his trainer and father Jabu and two brothers - Patrick, a former South African lightweight champion and Peter, a former IBO and WBU welterweight champion.

The promising fighter was detained for four hours at the Los Angeles customs office when officials instructed him to leave his Zulu traditional regalia behind or return to Johannesburg.

"I'm hurt after my fighting gear and isiphandla were taken away from me, but I will show them I'm the best boxer by winning the title on Saturday," Malinga said.

Promoter Branco Milenkovic said that "for Vusi to be forced to fight without his traditional gear may affect him".

this is standard international disease control protocol, its normal all around the world, any animal products and food products, its all about disease control..................................absolutely nothing to do with culture or any thing else.....................................we even know these measures in Botswana and parts of SA... .... so the boxer will know for next time....use material same as in clothes....no problem..... obviously.....there is also some kind of stamp or approval one can get as well

Jun 01, 2012 7:34 | 0 replies

MORNACHIES5
Mbeva
Zuma was stripped by Brent Murray, now Malinga is stripped by Los Angeles Airport.It is pouring for KZN men. Why everyone wants to see what they are hiding?

__________________________________________________________________
Kikikikikiki i want to have a movie called Zulus in danger ...starring :MSHOWERHEAD !
How original.Imagine Matome a dira movie nc nc nc nc,wa tseba go user camera nje?

May 31, 2012 11:37 | 0 replies

MGEEZ
Tgee
@MGEEZ
@Tgee
@MGEEZ
I really don't understand you sometimes you sound GAY
======================================================================================
Hahahaha: I di not realise that my writing here had a sound??? Tell me more about that please.lol

****************************** ********** ****************** *********************
just read your writing you will see that you are the only one who's GAY here
Which one in particular?
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
I think in this case the americans may argue the same, that Malinga was the one disrespecting their culture or laws!!!

which culture do americans have?

May 31, 2012 11:32 | 0 replies

@tpaz
this is not King Shaka Airport.....

LOL

May 31, 2012 11:31 | 0 replies

Mbeva

__________________________________________________________________

May 31, 2012 11:20 | 0 replies

Secretary
Witchcraft is prohibitted in Europe
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Didnt know that LA is in Europe tjo

May 31, 2012 11:5 | 0 replies

U hlula boy u vakomba kuri wena a wu lwi hi madzovo u lwa hi mavoko na aparteheid ya vona.

May 31, 2012 10:55 | 0 replies

@somaartakeit
I know sweety, "Pacman" is one feisty fighter. Mandla should trust his fis.ts not a de.ad g.oat........

@Mbeva, LOL you mean it is raining KZN m.en......... *singing.... its raining m.en, hallelujah.............*

May 31, 2012 10:54 | 0 replies