BSA shoots down white buffalo's plans
BOXING South Africa has dashed Francois "White Buffalo" Botha's plans to fight unbeaten Francesco Pianeta next month.
Botha, who turns 44 on September 28, had agreed to fight against Pianeta in a 10-round bout in Germany on May 16. But BSA bosses are having none of that, arguing that it's too soon for Botha to fight again after losing to Carlos Takam by an 11th- round stoppage in a World Boxing Organisation Africa heavyweight title fight in France on March 31. His defeat by Takam came four months after he was knocked out in the 12th round by American Michael Grant in a World Boxing Federation heavyweight title fight in Johannesburg.
According to the Boxing Act a boxer who has suffered a knockout as a result of a blow to the head will have his or her certificate of registration automatically suspended for 90 days. In that time the fighter cannot take part in any contact training.
If a boxer is knocked out in two consecutive fights within six months, the certificate of registration is suspended for six months. Again, no contact training is allowed.
Dumile Mateza, chairman of the BSA sanctioning and ratings committee, said yesterday that Botha had been informed of the decision. He said because of Botha's age, BSA had also asked for a medical report on the boxer.
"We gave Fransie the go-ahead to fight against Takam though he had lost his last fight by a knockout to Grant," said Mateza. "He must stay for 90 days without training or fighting as per our regulations."
WBF president Howard Goldberg, who made calls to BSA on Botha's behalf, said: "I can't confirm nor deny that. Botha is going to get a full medical report and we will be able to comment in the next couple of days."
Meanwhile, Botha said on fightnews.com: "In my last fight I wasn't really fit. I want to prove myself again in Frankfurt. If I can't win the fight, I'm going to think about quitting. There are good young boxers in South Africa. Maybe I should make space for them."