Bafana matches on SABC for 3 years
BAFANA'S home matches will remain on SABC screens for the next three years, but that's all football fans have been told.
The secrecy surrounding the agreement concerns the price that the SABC will pay and what time the matches will be broadcast.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago could not say if matches would be live or delayed on TV.
"Let us deal with this when we sign the contract and not try to get into the content of the contract now," he said.
The SABC and Safa reached an agreed "in principle" on Tuesday, with the contract expected to be signed in the second week of May. Safa spokesman Dominic Chimhavi confirmed yesterday that the two parties had reached an agreement but were "tying up loose ends".
Kganyago said the agreement needed to be presented to the SABC and Safa boards for approval before it was concluded.
"We cannot divulge the amount at the moment as the agreement still has to be ratified by the boards," he said. "We will (reveal) any other information when we sign the contract."
Previously the agreement was agreed on a game-by-game basis, but once signed, the new deal will see all the Bafana home matches on SABC.
Away matches will still be subject to negotiation with French company Sport Five, which has a contract with CAF. Chimhavi said Safa was still in negotiations with Sport Five "to see how we can come to an amicable agreement".
Despite next year's Africa Cup of Nations being a CAF tournament, Chimhavi said the new contract with SABC would include Bafana games at the event. South Africa will host the tournament. SuperSport did not bid for the rights. Spokesman Clinton van der Berg said: "We have traditionally left this up to the public broadcaster."