Siyo to set fight date
NATIONAL junior-flyweight champion Luzuko Siyo has until the end of the month to indicate to Boxing South Africa when he will defend his title.
Siyo, who relinquished his SA title in February, only to rescind his decision a day later, is supposed to have defended his crown against former champion Mfundo Gwayana. But the fight has not taken place because Siyo is still nursing an injured hand, following a freak accident while he was jogging.
"We've got a letter from Siyo's camp saying that he's got an injured hand," said BSA director of operations Loyiso Mtya. "We have given him some time to recover from the injury. We have also given him until the end of April to tell us when he will be ready to defend his title."
Siyo, 21, shocked the boxing fraternity when he wrote to BSA saying he was vacating his SA title in order to campaign internationally, before going back on his decision.
At the time he had been earmarked to fight against Filipino boxer Renan Quijano Trongco for the WBC Youth Intercontinental junior-flyweight crown at Emperor's Palace in Kempton Park on March 3. However, the contest didn't go ahead because Trongco couldn't travel to South Africa.
The Duncan Village-born champion, who won the SA crown after an eighth- round stoppage of Monwabisi Gundwana in Port Alfred in June last year, has defended the title once - stopping Sebelomzi Zimele 46 seconds into the first round in October.
When Siyo relinquished his title, it was believed that Gwayana would fight for the title against another former national champion, Vuyani Kheswa.
Mzi Mnguni said yesterday: "We are still assessing Luzuko's hand and we will take him to a specialist once we have completed the assessment. I'm planning my next tournament and I want to know whether he will be available because I would love to have him on the bill."