Thu Dec 18 22:10:28 CAT 2014
Oscar Pistorius arrives court sentencing
Headline grabbers of 2014

The year 2014 has certainly turned heads with quite a few attention grabbing headlines. We look back.

Women boxers 'won't be forced' to wear skirts

By Reuters | Feb 21, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 18 ]

Women boxers will have the choice of wearing skirts or shorts in the ring at this year’s London Olympics, the sport’s world governing body says

A spokesman for the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) said the executive committee would vote “in the next few days” on the proposed solution to what has become a controversial issue.

AIBA president Ching-Kuo Wu of Taiwan told a world conference on women and sport in Los Angeles that female fighters would not be forced to wear skirts.

“Some women want to wear shorts and some want to wear skirts,” he said. “So the decision we have made is that we shall make it optional because many boxers are undecided.”

Women’s boxing is making its Olympic debut at the London Games in July and August with three gold medals on offer.

Several women boxers have criticised attempts to encourage them to wear skirts for what seemed to be purely aesthetic reasons. The women were offered skirts for the first time at the 2010 world championships in Barbados.

Romanian and Polish women boxers wore skirts at the European championships in Romania in 2010, with the Poles making them compulsory.

women boxers wearing skirts. i will book a ringside seat i tell you. maybe banyana banyana might di the same.

Feb 21, 2012 7:11 | 0 replies

Come on you guys, I don't disagree with the fact that it would be great fun, but what if it is someone close to you, I mean very very close to you and other people are whistling, just looking at her thing? mabye those boobs, bums and all that? I would also like to see my friends do that, but not me

Feb 22, 2012 3:0 | 0 replies

Come on you guys, I don't disagree with the fact that it would be great fun, but what it is someone close to you, I mean very very close to you and other people are whistling, just looking at her thing? mabye those boobs, bums and all that? I would also like to see my friends do that, but not me

Feb 22, 2012 2:59 | 0 replies

Let hope there will be no taxi driver in the ring-side.

Feb 22, 2012 2:19 | 0 replies

women boxers in skirts, lets toast to that

Feb 21, 2012 7:57 | 0 replies

KE HALLETSE NNYO GENTS

Feb 21, 2012 4:16 | 0 replies

Women boxers must be forced to wear miniskirts. It is a beautiful sight indeed. I would pay even my last cent to watch them doing their thing.

Feb 21, 2012 11:41 | 0 replies

@lavidaloca
ungazenzi ncono san,ikhekhe awulazi,ur zebra zebra.

Feb 21, 2012 10:37 | 0 replies

Jerr let it come, m waiting

Feb 21, 2012 10:37 | 0 replies

That's a good idea right there. We (men) want to feast our eyes and enjoy watching ku.ku.

Feb 21, 2012 10:35 | 0 replies