A PENSIONER who was mourning the death of a neighbour at Davhana village in Limpopo has died, and 50 others were hospitalised after suspected food poisoning.
It is alleged that Magresa Leshiba, 60, drank home-brewed mageu while preparing for the funeral of aneighbour.
Leshiba's neighbour, Ndavheni Mudau, had died after bleeding profusely from suspected food poisoning.
Limpopo health spokesperson Roleta Lebelo said Leshiba died 500m from the clinic where 50 other people were treated and transferred to Elim Hospital.
Lebelo said Leshiba, who had accompanied her son and the other 49 sick people to the clinic, was found bleeding outside the clinic, and died as she was being taken inside.
"We treated 50 patients at the clinic who were transferred to Elim Hospital and later discharged. They all had the same symptoms, but we cannot say with certainty if it was food poisoning as we are still waiting for postmortem results," said Lebelo.
Councillor Ntavhanyeni Ramashia yesterday told Sowetan that the community was worried about the "poisoning" incident in the village.