BRITISH journalist Simon Wright appeared in Cape Town's special World Cup Court yesterday.
His lawyer William Booth told the magistrate that he had not yet seen a formal charge sheet, but that he intended to make representations for the withdrawal of charges against his client.
Magistrate Grant Engel postponed the case to July 7. He extended Wright's bail of R3000.
Police arrested Wright, who works for the Sunday Mirror, on Monday in connection with what they said was a security breach in the England soccer team's dressing room. They said he had been charged with defeating the ends of justice and contravening the Immigration Act.
He was allegedly linked to the incident where Londoner Pavlos Joseph entered the English team's dressing room in Cape Town after a match on June 18.
Joseph was released after paying a R750 admission of guilt fine.
His advocate Craig Webster told the magistrate that Joseph's legal team had made representations to the Western Cape Director of Public Prosecutions.
These representations had been successful in that the DPP had agreed to allow him to pay a fine.
Joseph had paid the R750 on Tuesday for a contravention of section 6, sub section 1 of the Fifa Act, being in a designated area without an accreditation card for that area. - Sapa