The University of Cape Town on Tuesday morning confirmed reports that “four cars were set alight at .
POLICE have assured teams and players taking part in the World Cup that their safety would be taken care of.
The assurance came after reports that a Nigerian player has received death threats.
"The National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure has taken note of reports of numerous death threats being levelled against the Nigerian team midfielder Sani Kaita," Natjoints spokesperson Brigadier Sally de Beer said yesterday.
She said the death threats were sent via e-mail.
Nigerian team spokesperson Idah Peterside was quoted as saying the 24-year-old received "over a thousand" threatening e-mails. He said he believed Kaita was a sacrificial lamb after their 2-1 defeat by Greece last Thursday.
In that match Kaita received a red card after he kicked Vasilas Torosidis.
De Beer said according Peterside the threats came from Nigeria. Although the player was "quite shaken", he was receiving support from his teammates.
"All 32 playing teams are receiving close protection services from members of elite units within the South African Police Service," De Beer said.
"The team security liaison officer with the Nigerian team has been asked to pay close attention to Kaita and to ensure the stringent security measures in place are sustained," De Beer said.
She said no case had been opened with the police but Fifa was aware of the threats.